Thursday, June 25, 2009

Cinnamon Basil Pesto

One of my friends gave me a bunch of cinnamon basil from her garden. I didn't even know that cinnamon basil existed! Imagine basil with a subtle hint of cinnamon mixed in. Actually, when I smelled a big bunch of it, it smelled like Big Red gum.

Anyhow, she gave me a big bunch, and I decided to try my hand at making pesto. So simple - basil, pine nuts, garlic, parmesan cheese, olive oil, salt and pepper - so delicious. You don't even really need to do anything except toss it in the food processor! Oh, and while it smells like cinnamon, it doesn't taste like it, so don't worry if you want to try it in place of regular basil.

She gave me tomatoes from her garden too. Homemade pesto and garden fresh tomato on a toasted French roll with some melted mozzarella...and a dash of good balsamic vinegar. Mmmmmm....

No comments: