Friday, January 26, 2007

Attack of the Cloned

As you may know, the United State Food and Drug Administration announced back in December 2006 that they were giving approval for cloned animal meat and dairy products to be sold for human consumption. And the best part about it is that the manufacturers don't need to label the products as "CLONED." Kinda scary, huh? Especially since the cloned meat would make it cheaper for restaurants to purchase...and we wouldn't even know they were serving it to us!

This made me think... Yes, it's dangerous, I know. If I were to eat a piece of chicken (we'll call it Pollo Primero - "Pop" for short), and later ate another piece of chicken that happened to come from the clone of Pop (Mister Imitation - "Mismo" for short), would my body think that it already digested it? Would I start having digestive deja vu?

Well, my fears were calmed (and yours can be too, if you have the same issues as I do about eating cloned animals) after the WholeFoodsMarket.com Cloning FAQ. Looks like they're waiting for the USDA to define the word "organic" to also mean that the product did not come from a cloned animal. That would make my life a whole lot easier.

I guess I'd just have to stop eating meat at fast food restaurants to avoid the attack of the cloned...

No comments: