Friday, July 06, 2007

Coldstone Creamery Complications

Yesterday, I had to rush over to Coldstone to buy a gift certificate for a co-worker's birthday. As I was standing in line, which was foreeeeeeeeeever, I got to listen in on the conversation at the counter. Apparently, it was the employee's first day, so she didn't know how to ring up coupons, which made the wait longer. Another employee came rushing in to help her, so they made the group's order and got them out the door. The man in front of me had a simple order -

Man: "Raspberry sorbet in a sugar cone"
Coldstone Girl: "Okay, the big one?"
Man: "No, I'd like the small one."
CG: "Oh, okay...that's called our 'like it' size."

The man shrugged it off and I got to thinking...first of all, how irritating that she assumed he wanted a big scoop, and secondly, why in the world would they try to recreate the simple sizing mechanism all normal human beings use? And why did she even bother to correct him? She didn't even use it when she asked if he wanted "the big one." He didn't care what they called it...I didn't care what they called it...It's not like we are going to start using their "sizes" to order. All the poor man wanted was a small scoop!!!

Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large, Extra Extra Large... So simple, you know? And isn't it hard enough that we've all had to learn the Starbucks sizes? Well, here is a simple table just in case you need help with the vernacular for their complicated sizing terminology...I have included Starbucks too, just in case anyone needs the help.

Desired Size - Coldstone Crazy Speak - Starbucks

Small - Like It - Tall
Medium - Love It - Grande
Large - Gotta Have It - Venti

Good luck with your ordering adventures! As for me, I'm sticking to the normal way of ordering - SMALL, MEDIUM, LARGE, and EXTRA LARGE :)

No comments: