Saturday, October 04, 2008

The Dreaded Mayo Post

Ivan and I had a heart-to-heart discussion a couple weeks ago...about mayonnaise.

Let me start by saying that I do not order mayo on anything. Sandwiches and burgers - my order is always, "Mustard, no mayo, please." And if they forget, I'll take the time to scrape the mayo off as best as I can. The only time I'll use mayo is when it is mixed with something else to mask the flavor of the mayo (e.g. in making spinach artichoke dip).

Ivan told me about his affinity for mayo, and how he used to eat it on toast when he was younger (and maybe still does it?). He would just toast some bread and spread it with mayo instead of butter. I thought he was joking, but the look on his face showed me how much he seriously loved this snack. But his devotion to the condiment was nothing when compared to his friends+mayo. One of his friends used to scoop mayonnaise out into a bowl and eat it like ice cream.

I gagged so much that I almost threw up.

He laughed.

No comments: