Thursday, February 04, 2010

Epi-Pen Experiment

I'm allergic to peanuts, and after two years of my friends and family insisting that I carry an Epi-Pen, I finally got one. When I visited the doctor, she determined that my allergy was severe enough that I should carry TWO. I spent a lot of time training my family with the test pen. The brothers had too much fun practicing with the test pen...resulting in a big fat bruise on my thigh.

This past Tuesday, after seeing an expired pen, and I figured it was time to REALLY experiment. To my partial defense (you'll see why it's only partial in a second), she did say, 'Try using one on an orange, just so you can get a feel for it..." and she had told me to keep the expired pens so I could do it. I didn't have an orange, so I grabbed an apple.

I took the expired Epi-Pen, opened it up, took off the safety cap, and firmly pushed (jammed) it into the apple. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH there was a great big splash...splattered my face and my hands. What did I do? I FREAKED OUT. Then I saw the crater that the pen created in the apple and FREAKED OUT EVEN MORE. I called my sissy to make sure that it wasn't too dangerous for me to have epinephren on my skin. When she called me back, after letting me know that I'd probably be okay, she laughed and made fun of my panicking.

AN ORANGE. The doctor said an ORANGE for a reason! I knew I was a bad patient, but wow, way to teach me a lesson!

No comments: